Art and Design at St. Mary’s 2022/2023
Through the study of art and design, St Mary’s children will become expressive and experimental learners developing their creative and innovative skills.
Rationale and our learning sequence
The National Curriculum for England states the following:
“Art, craft and design embody some of the highest forms of human creativity. A high-quality art and design education should engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. As pupils progress, they should be able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. They should also know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.”
At St. Mary’s we have developed our Art and Design Curriculum to ensure that at all stages of their learning journey our children are equipped with the following skills in order to:
- To stimulate and nurture creativity and imagination
- To develop understanding of colour, form, texture, tone and pattern and or a wide range of different media and artistic genres
- To develop skills in the use of materials and processes to express ideas and feelings
- To be able to record and represent from first hand concrete experiences and starting points together with demonstrating imaginative ideas through art and design.
- To learn about and appreciate the ideas and meanings in the work of artists, craftspeople and designers with a focus on the importance of multicultural influences in art
- To appreciate the importance of art, craft and design in their own lives and through history and different cultures
- To encourage children help each child to become actively involved in shaping the world around them
This learning is supported by cross curricular enrichment activities such as using the skills and techniques children have acquired in Art and Design to express understanding across a wide range of subjects and topics. Our rolling art gallery is one way in which different themes are explored and expressed by children for example care for our natural world, what makes us happy have been themes that have inspired this school wide project. Our curriculum map tracks the sequence of learning for our children and seeks to build on prior learning at all stages of the learning journey so that children are able to refer to prior learning experiences when accessing new learning and deepening skills and understanding over time.